Saturday, September 21, 2013

Week #2

Been here almost 2 weeks now. What I have realized is what crazy, generous friends I have. I was lucky enough to have almost 5 weeks with my insanely generous family and I get out here and it's the same thing. I have paid for 2, yes 2, meals since I have arrived. My friends aren't rich people and yet they are so giving and so happy to see me, they just help out. It's ridiculous. Ridiculous and lovely.
The weather has been LA beautiful. Even on the hottest day there was still a breeze. 
On Tuesday, I reunited with my friend Juan, one of my best friends here in LA. When I had the 'big reunion' Friday night he was on a trip (he's a flight attendant) so we finally had our reunion. It was so good to see him. We sat and talked all day and walked around IKEA, it was wonderful.
On Wednesday, I reunited with my friend Jeff who took me out to lunch and we caught up on movies and TV and local theatre. That night, I met up with Ethan once again to join him for a trivia contest at a local bar. We placed 3rd, thanks useless pop culture knowledge.
On Thursday, I met up with fellow Peace Corps volunteer from Moldova, Jess. She is now a grad student at USC. I have never even been to that area of LA. I was a little lost, there are a lot of one ways and street name changes but we finally connected. It was like I saw her 2 weeks ago as we immediately began our usual banter. Since we're both unemployed we ate cheaply, got to see her experience her first In-n-Out burger, a rite of passage for Los Angeles. And then we headed up to Griffith Park to get some great views of the city. (Also, free!)
Friday morning, met up with my dear friend Deb as she treated me to a good Italian pastry and then some lunch as we caught up. Then I headed out to Chino for a nice afternoon dinner with Juan and Derek as we talked about finding a place to live together. I need a transitional place before I can afford my own and they need a place to stay as their house sold and they haven't found a permanent residence yet. Should be pretty fun.
Job wise, I have sent out resumes, the LA adage "Hurry up and wait" is in full effect, so that's fun. Thankfully I have my patience down pat at this point.
So all is still well. I am where I want to be and life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment