Sunday, September 29, 2013

An A1 Day

After my frustrations last week with the damn online applications, I went out to eat with my friends. As I was sitting in the bathroom, guess what damn song came on the radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2u5uUu3DE

This song FOLLOWS me and it always seems to know when to appear. I was starting to get slightly discouraged and questioning decisions and then this song comes on. I know it seems silly but for me, it always seems to reassure me when times are weird. 
So yesterday (Saturday), I went to downtown LA, where I have rarely been, and met up with my friend, Liz. Liz is the sister of John who I was in the Peace Corps with. She lives in Alabama but she is dating a guy here in LA so she was visiting. We connected and decided to meet for dinner. Liz's boyfriend happens to be a director. Isn't that funny? (LA...all about connections). She had visited Moldova last year so we had met and become friends and kept in touch. She's super cool and a designer for "Coastal Living" magazine. We sat and chatted at dinner for a few hours and I expressed my concerns about finding a job and she once again reassured me that things were going to work out. Why? Because they always do. She's right. She's so right.
So my phone rings this morning at 8am. I ignored it as I had a full day of plans with friends ahead and I didn't feel like waking up just yet. But the phone kept ringing. It was Liz. Her boyfriend, Shiloh, had to be on set all day and he wanted to know if I wanted to come on set with him and be a PA. (Production Assistant). One of the actresses needed an assistant. I thought about all the people I would have to cancel on for the day and I was hesitant. She then said the actress's name was Kristin Chenoweth. Sorry (truly) friends, I had to jump on this opportunity.
I drove and picked up Liz who graciously agreed to go to the set with me. They were shooting at AFI (American Film Institute) so we drove up there, another place I had never been. Just being THERE was exciting enough. 
I can't really talk about what they were filming as it hasn't been picked up yet, but more details to come at a later date. 
I met Shiloh and his brother Rider. 
(His brother is Rider Strong, from TV's Boy Meets World. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0835045/ )
They were super nice. I met most of the people on the crew and learned their functions. SO many things go into making movies/TV shows, I am shocked that anything ever gets produced. Everyone was really nice. I don't know if it's because I was walking around with Shiloh's girlfriend or what, but it was fun. I met Kristin. She is TEENY, but as sweet as can be. She didn't really need a lot of help and I basically just hung out with her and chatted with her. It was a full day and it was just great. I loved being on a set and watching things from behind the scenes and being a part of something so cool. 
We broke for dinner just in time to watch the Breaking Bad finale. Yes, I got to watch the finale of one of (if not THE) greatest shows of all time sitting on a TV set with a crew. 
(And the finale was perfection, but I won't go into that). I met a lot of people, gave out my number and established a lot of connections.
It truly was an A1 day!


No comments:

Post a Comment