Monday, September 22, 2014

Domo Arigato

Last weekend, I traveled to Pittsburgh for my best friend from the Peace Corps, Lyndsey's, wedding. Lyndsey and I met on our first day at staging in Philadelphia. We ended up at the same site and wound up being next door neighbors. We were inseparable during training and stayed close even when we were assigned permanent sites on the opposite ends of the country. Lyndsey ended her service in December of 2012. I took her to the airport at 5:00am and that was the last time I saw her. We kept in touch, of course, and once I got back to the States, we struck up a habit of having a Tuesday evening phone call every week to touch base. 
When she approached me about being the photographer at her wedding, I was skeptical. I mean it's a big responsibility and I couldn't be more of an amateur photographer. But Lyndsey, in her ever-hippieness, said she didn't want anything formal and she liked the way I took photos as I seemed to capture moments instead of poses. I appreciated that and accepted. Plus it was a chance to see my friend who I hadn't seen in nearly two years. Also attending, were Lindsay and Conrad, my other friends from Peace Corps. We worked out sharing a hotel room near the venue and the plans were set. 
So last Thursday evening, I boarded a red eye plane for Pittsburgh. Although I have lived in Pennsylvania growing up, I had never been to Pittsburgh. People don't realize just how big the state is and growing up, Pittsburgh seemed like the other side of the world. I landed around 6am and I was going to take the public bus into the city, the Oakland section, where Lyndsey would pick me up and we would go to breakfast. As it was a very short trip, this would be our only one on one time. All went as planned. Oakland is the section of Pittsburgh with the 3 Universities of Carlow, Carnegie Mellon and Pitt. It is so beautiful and clean and flying in from a CA heat wave, the weather was crisp and perfect. I got off the bus at the designated stop and met Lyndsey. She immediately launched into a story about traffic and how she forgot it was Friday instead of Saturday and I just started laughing and said "Uh...HI?!?!?" She laughed and we hugged. We talk so much, it felt like no time had passed. She asked what I wanted for breakfast and I said I just wanted a little hole in the wall place with a grill right in front of me and she said she knew the place. We walked into a little place where the cook "Mama Rose" made me an omelette filled with bacon, ham and cheese with a side of rye toast slathered in butter and a bunch of fresh home fries. It was heaven. And Lyndsey and I got to talk for about an hour. She was of course panicking because all she really wanted was for everyone to have a good time. Upon leaving, I revealed to Mama Rose that Lyndsey's wedding was the following day. It was outside and we were worried for rain. Mama Rose leaned over and said "Kid, I'm gonna tell you two things: 1 - Don't ever go to bed angry. You just never know when the other person won't wake up. And 2 - If it rains tomorrow? Dance in the fucking rain." I laughed. It was just SO Pennsylvania and I loved it. Lyndsey gave her a big hug and we left. She took me to her place that she shared with her husband (they had gotten married in a secret ceremony the day before at city hall). I had met Art when he came to Moldova to visit her and I adored him. They are, after all, basically the same person. He too was filled with anxiety but most of all, they were just both excited. Lyndsey showed me to the basement where there was a guest room and she invited me to crash for a few hours as she scurried around running errands. I gratefully accepted. I woke up around 2:00 and chatted with Art until Lyndsey and her maid of honor, Jess returned from the nail salon. We sat and had lunch together. Afterwards, Art drove me over to the hotel so I could check in and meet up with Lindsay and Conrad so that we could all go out together that evening. Got to the hotel and checked in and was able to shower and get ready. Lindsay and Conrad arrived about an hour later. 
Lyndsey and Art stopped by the hotel to give us a ride and there we were: All together again. :)
In downtown Oakland there was a small street festival going on so we just walked around and hung out. The four of us had never done so in an American city so it was really nice. But the prize was Primanti Brothers. A sandwich place established in the 30's, Primanti invented putting fries and coleslaw on the sandwich. They made their money by having the novel idea of staying open past 2am when the bars close. Munchies = $$. They took me there because it was literally my only request of the weekend. And it did not disappoint. I ordered a pastrami sandwich but also got to sample a ham sandwich, a capicola and egg sandwich, a roast beef sandwich and a turkey sandwich. Thank goodness for friends who share. It was delightful. 
Lindsay and Conrad had driven 5 hours, I had been traveling, Lyndsey hadn't slept basically all week so we decided to make it an early night and headed back around 9:30. I think we were all asleep by 10.
The next morning we woke up around 10, nothing like a good 12 hour sleep! Lyndsey and Art were heading to the park to decorate. The wedding was being held in Schenley park and the reception was in the Vietnam Memorial pavilion. So they were decorating the whole thing and then had to tear it all down that night. We volunteered to assist. Lindsay and Conrad LOVE walking place so I begrudgingly went with them. It was not a short walk and it was mostly uphill so I wasn't 'pleasant' but I got over it. We helped decorate for a good few hours. We left at 1:00 to go grab some lunch before the wedding. Lyndsey's parents were staying at the hotel as well and when she arrived, she called me down to their room to take some photos. We all headed out together and up to the wedding to begin at 3:00. 
It was in a little grove in the park surrounded by trees overlooking the city. And lo and behold, the skies were blue and there was no rain. It was perfect. They stood together and said their vows as their friend married them and everyone was just happy. It was a strange feeling everyone being so happy. I jumped in a car with Lyndsey and Art for a half hour as we drove around the park and took photos in various places at their request before we  headed back to the reception. It was a huge Italian feast and we scarfed it down and then the dancing began. And it didn't stop. It ranged from hip hop line dances to Art's brother singing Frank Sinatra, to two elderly ladies getting down to the Jackson Five to the highlight of the night, a semi-strip tease to Styx' "Mr. Roboto." It was just 6 hours of pure joy. Hard to explain the feeling, I'm not all that familiar with it. :)
The plan was to go back to the hotel and change and then go out to keep celebrating but... after 6 hours of rootbeer moonshine, we didn't make it out of the hotel room. We had been standing since basically 10 that morning and none of us moved. I was a little sad as I would not get a chance to say goodbye to the happy couple but then, goodbyes suck so it was kind of a relief.
Sunday morning came all too quickly. I woke up at 8 and had to catch the bus back to the airport for a flight at 11. I will see Lindsay in San Diego in 2 weeks as she has a conference and Lyndsey and Art are coming at the end of October for a wedding. So all is not lost.
I am in love with the city of Pittsburgh. Sure, it was perfect weather and it was a joyous occasion but it was a perfect weekend. The only bump was my connection in Houston. As we landed on time but got stuck on the runway for an hour waiting for a gate. I had 9 minutes (yes 9) to get to my connection before they closed the doors. Yay, running! Somehow, I made it. I'm not quite sure how.

Lyndsey with her Dad.

Lyndsey with her parents.

The Pavilion

The window ready for guest signatures

Decorations

The bride and groom.

So silly!

The epic performance of "Mr. Roboto."



Throwing the key to their love lock over the bridge.


MARRIED!


My favorite.

Dance battle.

Cookie Table

Learning to do "The Wobble."



So I got 48 hours with my closest friends from Peace Corps. It's funny how we spent 2 years desperate to get back home to our friends. And now, we spend most of our time figuring out how we're going to see each other again.



No comments:

Post a Comment