Monday, February 23, 2015

And the Oscar Goes To... Internet Bitching! - said no one ever...

The Oscars. My favorite night of the year. And yet my GOODNESS can people bitch about it. Good Lord, get in a good mood.
SO, here are my thoughts.
  • Not everybody is a red carpet reporter. I would have to agree with the #askhermore hashtag started last night. Yes, I care who they’re wearing and shout outs to the designers but that’s not all she’s about. ASK HER MORE!
  • Opening musical numbers will always sell me on a show. When they include NPH, Anna Kendrick and Jack Black, they will endear me forever.
  • J.K. Simmons. Been around for years, so nice to see a dedicated, nice guy be awarded. And a great message about calling, not texting, your folks. (I’ll call soon, Mom, I promise)
  • All the best song nominees were great. I adored “Everything is Awesome” because it was, well awesome. “Lost Stars” from Begin Again was my favorite because I loved that movie. But there was just no contest when it came to that “Glory” performance. Gospel choir. Mic drop.
  • Hey, relatives who think rap isn’t music and rappers are ineloquent, I sure hope you saw Common’s speech. Because it was beautiful and eloquent. And he’s a great rapper.
  • I love that the guy from Poland demanded to take his moment.
  • Big Hero 6 is a great movie. But animation wise, nothing was better than THE LEGO MOVIE last year. Sorry.
  • Patricia Arquette didn’t say anything that was incorrect or inappropriate. Her role in the movie was about a single mother trying to make things work. It wasn’t like she played an alien killer and then jumped in about women’s rights. And if you have Meryl and J-Lo giving you a standing O, you’re doing something right.
  • Thrilled there was so much love for The Grand Budapest Hotel and Whiplash. I love when smaller films get some love. 
  • That was a beautiful In Memoriam, but I do prefer clips to the drawings. And as wonderful as Jennifer Hudson is, in these moments silence speaks louder.
  • Why was Joan Rivers left out? I’m sorry, I don’t understand why she wouldn’t be. But that’s my opinion. Her red carpet show was always the worst part of the season for me. There’s a way to be honest with people without being downright cruel.
  • John Travolta was a good sport. 
  • Everyone should watch more documentaries. These 5 as well as many more as possible. They are all labors of love about something incredibly important.
  • A few people in my party groaned when Lady Gaga was introduced. She is NOT Madonna or Britney Spears. She is a trained musician who writes music and sings live. She is a singer. And she brought down the freaking house. Do not classify her with auto-tuned pop princesses just because of her gimmick. She has real talent.
  • When Julie Andrews walked out, I cried. She is the epitome of wonderful.
  • Graham Moore’s speech was amazing and inspiring. It is a message about conquering depression that needs to be shared.
  • Wes Anderson looks like he’s 22. He’s 45.
  • I think Eddie Redmayne was remarkable in his performance and adorable in his acceptance speech. But Michael Keaton had my vote.
  • Birdman was magnificent. Please stop asking me to explain it to you. If you didn’t get it, that’s not my problem. If you didn’t like it, I don’t really care. If you disagree with its victory, stop watching the Oscars. 
  • Boyhood didn’t get the love it should have. It was a tremendous movie.
  • Sean Penn. 3 things.
    • He and the Director are very good friends. The director thought it was hilarious. Don’t be offended on behalf of someone who isn’t.
    • You don’t get much more liberal than Sean Penn. Next time he’s spending a few months in Haiti working with refugees and lobbying for immigration reform? Remind me again how he’s racist.
    • If you don’t want someone to say controversial shit, maybe don’t invite someone who’s known for always saying controversial shit to announce the biggest award of the evening. That’s on you, Academy.
  • If you think it’s too long, don’t watch. If you think it’s too boring, turn the channel. That’s what I do when football is on. And yet nobody rips apart 
  • Hosting is a thankless, exhausting job that no matter what you do, you are ripped apart the next day. NPH had some hits and misses, but he did a fantastic job. If you think he didn’t, please see the above bullet point.
Here’s me and my pals watching the show while I live tweeted for Broadway World. It was a lot of fun. Every film in the Best Picture category walked away with at least one award. That’s pretty cool. 

My top 3 of the year: The Grand Budapest Hotel, Boyhood and Birdman. Needless to say, that made my night pretty great. That and my wonderful, wonderful friends. 

Until next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment